This delicious smoked trout cream cheese recipe is great on bagels, crackers, toast, or anything you’d normally put cream cheese on!
- 1 Gallon – Water
- 1/2 cup – Kosher Salt
- 1/2 cup – Dark Brown Sugar
- Your Preference – Granulated Garlic(Optional)
Cream Cheese Spread:
- 8 oz Cream Cheese(Softened)
- 4-5oz Smoked Trout
- 2 Scallions/Green Onions
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- To Taste – Pepper
- To Taste – Salt
- Garnish – Chives(Optional)
- Very Little(1/4tsp) – Liquid Smoke(Optional)
- Thoroughly mix 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, and a few generous shakes of granulated garlic into 1 gallon of cold water.
- You can use a portion of warm water to help dissolve ingredients easier before pouring into the rest of the cold water.
- Place cleaned and butterflied(!) trout into brine mix for at least 8 hours.
- Ensure all trout is submerged.
- Remove from brine and rinse excess brine from trout.
- Gently pat dry with paper towels.
- Allow to sit on raised wire rack at room temperature to allow pelicle to form.
Smoking the Trout:
- Pre-heat smoker to 180 degrees.
- Place trout on racks with enough space between to allow sufficient airflow.
- Smoke at 180 Degrees for 3-4 hours.
- Check at 3 hours to make sure you aren’t over-cooking trout.
- Once meat is flaky and opaque, remove from smoker and allow to cool.
- De-Bone pin-bones(Optional)
- Shred trout by hand into small crumble sized pieces.
Mixing the Dip:
- Mix together in large bowl:
- 8oz cream cheese
- 4-5oz smoked trout
- 2 green onions
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- some salt
- some pepper
- <1/4tsp Liquid Smoke(Optional)
- Garnish with chives
- Serve on favorite delicious vessel.